Tuesday 28 April 2015

Conclusion

There are many factors that contribute to our rising numbers of infants and toddlers in non parental care. Some have been discussed in this blog.

I would like to share my personal experience. My first encounter with infants in a childcare setting came in October 2013. I was assigned to an infant and toddler centre as part of my teaching practicum. Before I arrived, I had a very negative opinion, believing this age group belonged with their parents. I was expecting a fraught and stressful environment, noisy with inconsolable babies.

To my great surprise and delight, I found a delightful environment where under two's are cared for, and who are safe and happy. There are sometimes tears when a new child is settling, but these are rarely sustained behaviours. Infants who arrive in this setting, rapidly settle in and enjoy the setting as they develop authentic relationships, and experience a quality curriculum.

My teaching practicum was 5 weeks long, however I have been there, very happily, for two years now.

If the centre practice is following the markers for quality care discussed in this blog, child care for our infants and toddlers can be a magnificent and life enhancing thing, for both the infants in care and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment